Weight Loss Information
Experts agree that the best way to reach a healthy
weight is to follow a sensible eating plan and engage
in regular physical activity. You should depend on those
Weight-loss programs which encourage healthy behaviors
that help you lose
weight and that you can maintain over time.
A safe and effective weight-loss program should
What should a weight loss program consist of
- Healthy eating plans that reduce calories but do
not rule out specific foods or food groups
- Regular physical activity and/or exercise instruction
- Tips on healthy behavior changes that also consider
your cultural needs
- Slow and steady weight loss of about ¾ to
2 pounds per week and not more than 3 pounds per week
(weight loss may be faster at the start of a program)
- Medical care if you are planning to lose weight
by following a special formula diet, such as a very-low-calorie
- A plan to keep the weight off after you have lost
A good weight loss program should offer the following:
- individual counseling and/or group classes
- a specific meal plan or keep food records
- encourage you to be physically active or follow
a specific physical activity plan, or provide exercise
- provide information on how to make positive and
healthy behavior changes
- the program should be sensitive to your lifestyle
and cultural needs
A few risks involved that you be aware of:
- Are there risks related to following the program's
eating or exercise plans?
- Are there risks related to using recommended weight
loss drugs or supplements?
- Do participants talk with a medical professional?
- Does a medical professional oversee the program?
- Will the program providers work with your personal
health care provider if you have a medical condition
or are taking prescribed medications?
Source : www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/nutrit.htm
Meridia is a prescription weight loss medication for short term weight control.
Click here to know about a few Weight Loss Programs: