What is Tai Chi?
Tai Chi works as an alternative therapy for weight loss.
Tai Chi is a Chinese martial art based on fluid movement
and on a gentle yielding motion which relaxes and stimulates
every part of the body. In Chinese, Tai chi means the
"'Supreme Ultimate Force ".
Tai Chi uses meditation and deep breathing through
a series of continuous exercises, called "forms,"
which resemble slow-moving ballet. Though it originated
as a martial art (evolving from qigong), tai chi is
now practiced more for its therapeutic benefits, which
include reducing stress, promoting balance and flexibility,
and even easing arthritis pain.
Over time, a variety of styles or schools of Tai Chi
- Chen Style
- Hao ( or Wu Shi ) Style
- Hu Lei Style
- Sun Style
- Wu Style
- Yang Style
- Zhao Bao Style
How does Tai Chi work?
The continuous flowing movements of Tai Chi
relax muscles and joints, which strengthens the body
from the inside. Through movement and meditation, Tai
Chi promotes robust physical health, and peace of mind.
What are the benefits of Tai Chi?
The integration of the inner structure
through Tai Chi leads to a more balanced energy level,
better health and greater emotional and physical stability.
- Tai Chi is one of the few exercises which can be
done by virtually any person regardless of their condition.
- It improves the activities of daily living for people
with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Parkinson's
disease, multiple sclerosis - to name a few.
- The meditative nature of exercises fosters a calm
and tranquil mind.
- It benefits poor postural, alignment or movement
patterns which can contribute to tension or injury.
- It is a moderate cardiovascular
exercise, which has a significant effect on lung function.
- It can beneficially alter the lipid profile thereby
it can prevent atherosclerosis.
- It regulates the immune system.
- It helps postural alignment and helps reduce spinal
- It is a weight bearing exercise, so it can help
in maintaining bone density.
- It improves balance in older people and thus reduces
the risk of falling--a major cause of death and disability
in the elderly.
- The improved energy circulation experienced through
meditation and Tai Chi has a regenerating affect on
the nervous system.
- The improvement in energy circulation and the transformation
of negative emotional and mental states are significant
factors in the elimination of chronic illnesses.
- Physical tension in the body is greatly reduced
and this leads to a reduction in mental tension. Thinking
becomes more lucid, the mind more peaceful, the temper
more gentle. People have found that headaches and
migraine are eliminated.
Tai Chi and Weight Loss
Tai chi can help in losing weight. It makes you more
aware of your internal strength and stimulates the mind/body
connection. It is a natural way to lose
weight by increased strength, flexibility, better
circulation, increased metabolism and elimination of
Tai chi is a highly enjoyable way to stay relaxed and
healthy. Tai Chi gives you inner peace, joy and vitality.
Tai Chi benefits come in the form of reduced stress,
and an improved ability to deal with difficult situations.